Athletes looking to boost performance while on a ketogenic diet may benefit from taking the following supplements:
- Creatine monohydrate: Creatine Monohydrate is an extensively researched dietary supplement that has been shown to promote muscle gain, improve exercise performance and increase strength.
- Caffeine: An extra cup of coffee or green tea can benefit athletic performance and boost energy levels, especially in athletes transitioning to a keto diet.
- Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs): Branched-chain amino acid supplements have been found to reduce exercise-related muscle damage, muscle soreness and fatigue during exercise.
- HMB (beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate): HMB may help decrease muscle loss and increase muscle mass, especially in those who are just beginning an exercise program or increasing the intensity of their workouts.
- Beta-alanine: Supplementing with the amino acid beta-alanine may help prevent fatigue and muscle burnout when following a ketogenic diet.
SUMMARY - Athletes following a ketogenic diet may benefit from certain supplements that preserve muscle mass, boost performance and prevent fatigue.